Wednesday 8 February 2012

Day to Day Stuff...

Oli now back to school and seemingly joining up for every sporting activity going. We have both joined the Mooloolaba Tennis Club too. It's brilliant as, because of the Queensland climate, we will be able to play throughout the year.  Tennis is fast becoming Oli's favourite sport and we're treating him to a new racquet as it's his birthday next week.  His other racquet is now too small for him as he's shooting skyward at a rate of knots! He's off on school camp for the week on Monday down on the Gold Coast.  It'll be strange without him but I know that he'll have a ball. It'll be good for him to mix with kids out of a school environment too. 
I went to a 'parents meet teachers' evening this week at his school.  As I mentioned on Facebook; I can't get used to seeing teachers in shorts and flip-flops (oops, 'thongs' here in Oz).  Very relaxed atmosphere. Oli really enjoys school though and the teachers seem to really know the individual students which is good. His school morning break is called 'morning tea' in Australia and he plays 'Tiggy' at lunch time ('tag' in the UK!). He's also started to pronounce words as an Aussie: 'yoe-gurt' for yoghurt and, instead of 'no thanks', he now says, 'I'm good thanks'. Lordy.
Jeff was given a whole tray of mangos last week by the owner of the farm where he was doing some electrical work. They have to be one of my favourite fruits: just as well really this week.  There are supermarkets here in Oz as in the UK, but you find that the majority of people use the supermarkets for their dry goods only and use the fruit shops, butchers and bakers for the rest.  It means that you need to make an effort shopping but it's worth it.  The fruit and veg shop where we are is soooo cheap compared to the supermarket. Some things are difficult to find.  For example, I couldn't find a fabric softener I liked.  I was told by the shop owner that fabric softener will damage our washing machine (problems with lime-scale here) and I was advised to use the cheapest white vinegar I could find instead.  It bloomin' works too and my towels have never been as soft as they are now!  Tip of the Week: I'll have more next time!!
Temperatures seem to be dropping a smidge now (phew!). I have just been for a run along the promenade in Mooloolaba after waving Oli off to school on his bike and it was around 25 degrees: fabulous.  We are so very lucky living here and there's not a day goes by when I don't think that! Wished that I had done it years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment