Friday 20 January 2012

Gizza Teaching Job!

The schools commence again on the 23rd of January after the long summer hols and I am now fully 'job-ready' and itching to get back in the classroom! 
However, the process to reach this stage has been long-winded and full of red tape: and costly.  
Firstly, I registered with the Queensland College of Teachers which is a legal requirement here.  I was then granted by them a 'provisional' teaching licence.  I will be awarded my full licence after completing 1000 hours of teaching practice (around a year's teaching). Makes me feel like the 'new girl' again, which I suppose I am.
The teaching system is different here so I have opted to register for supply/relief teaching initially, to enable me to be involved, but without the marking and lesson planning!  I contacted the Queensland cover/supply register (TRACER). I was required by them to nominate the areas to which I was prepared to travel and send off witnessed documents.  (This part was a particularly complicated paper-filled process!).  Finally, on Friday I was notified by them that all my details had been loaded on-line for my perusal and that I had been 'successful' with my application.  On checking the computer system, I noted that they had input my 'preferred subject' to supply teach as ACCOUNTING?!  
I telephoned the department and explained to them that I was an ENGLISH teacher, which the paperwork I sent to them (on numerous occasions!) detailed.  The girl on the end of the telephone then asked me, 'Are you sure that's your subject?'... hmmmm...!
I now have to complete 20 continuous hours of teaching practice (or) 40 days of teaching in total before I can apply for any permanent positions in state schools.  If I am offered a permanent position I will then need to go before a panel who will decide whether I am 'qualified' to take the position. Good Grief! 
However, if I want to work in an Independent school, that is different again and none of the above applies, apart from my provisional licence. Also, if I were to move to another state in Australia; it's different again!
RIGHT THEN: I AM READY. PLEASE TEACHERS: GO SICK OR BREAK LEGS AND LET ME GET SOME WORK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment